Tacos are always a popular dinner at our house. My love for all things taco began in my childhood: taco salad, taco pizza, beef tacos, chicken tacos, taco soup, I enjoy it all. As an adult, I’ve enjoyed Asian fusion tacos, breakfast tacos, and several other varieties. One of our favorite recent discoveries are these Mediterranean Beef Tacos. The combination of tangy yogurt sauce, spiced beef, cool & crunchy cucumber, and salty feta cheese is pretty much perfection. They are served in pita bread so all the toppings stay together nicely. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
First, you’ll mix up some yogurt sauce with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Then you’ll cook your ground beef with some Italian-style diced tomatoes, and season it with thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Slice up your cucumber, crumble some feta, and you’ve got a great dinner in 30 minutes! (no Rachael Ray guarantee here, but it is a pretty fast meal)
This is a simple and easy twist on the standard beef taco with iceberg lettuce and shredded cheddar cheese. While they may not look incredibly beautiful, they are incredibly delicious. In fact, when we looked through the photos we took while making this meal, we realized the photo you see below is the only one of the finished product. We were too eager to eat them to have more patience for a photo shoot. Once you taste them, you’ll probably understand.
Mediterranean Beef Tacos with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
inspired by Cooking Light
1 (6-ounce) container plain 2% Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
4 whole-wheat pita breads
16 ounces ground beef
1 Tablespoon safflower or canola oil
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Cut each pita bread into two halves to make pita pockets. Broil until toasted, turning after about 1 minute.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise. Cut into half-moon slices about 1/4-inch thick.
- Heat a skillet/large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 T safflower oil to the pan and let the oil heat up for about 30 seconds. Swirl the oil around the pan; add ground beef, stirring to crumble. Once ground beef is browned & fully cooked, add tomatoes to the pan. Turn down heat and stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, thyme, and oregano. Let the beef mixture simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- To assemble your tacos, spread 1 tablespoon of yogurt mixture inside each pita half; add beef mixture. Stuff cucumber slices and some crumbled feta cheese inside each pita half.